Seizing Possibilities

Seizing Possibilities
Seizing Possibilities

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Equipment DOES make a difference!

All this talk about equipment not mattering.  In many ways that is very true.  

As I am certain you have read all across the web that you are selling yourself and your unique way of seeing the world and what you bring to your photographs.  I don’t disagree one iota with that assessment but you cannot and should not dismiss the idea of what good equipment means for you.  I started in DSLR with a simple Fuji camera long ago but had “graduated” to a Canon Rebel XT in 2006 leaving film entirely behind, (almost.)  In 2008 a new body, the Rebel XTi replaced a broken one that needed some work that couldn’t be done while I lived in England.  I have used it almost exclusively with ES lenses, my favorite probably is the Canon 60mm macro using my Canon 55-250mm lens and 28-135mm macro often.  In January, I decided if I was going to really make a serious go at being a professional photographer I needed to upgrade and get some better gear. 
 
I purchased a Canon 5D Mark II but now I had to decide on my first lens.  Ouch!  Ouch, again!  Even with the discounts offered by Canon last year it cost a pretty penny, but I opted after much thought and looking through SOME lenses, I decided on the 70-200mm f/4 IS USM L lens, the less expensive version.  What a delight!  What a surprise!  Such clarity.  Such speed. Oh the color!   What a difference!

Gyokusendo Cave

Lone Rock
 The difference in clarity and sharpness of image as well as the speed of the lens and flexibility of ISO and other features on my new camera holds no comparison to my Rebel (yes I still have it and use it!) The clarity, pixel count and data it collects far exceeds my expectations and holds no comparison to what I have taken in the past, even with a tripod.  Once you have been baited, you will be “hooked.”  There is no turning back for me and I’m anxious to make some money so I can buy the 100mm macro lens for my 5D camera.  I’ll keep working hard and expanding my borders to make this business succeed.  In the meantime, rent a good camera and lens and just try it, but be careful, there may be no turning back!


Say Bye-bye
The Okinawan Setting Sun

3 comments:

  1. Excellent point. I was just saying the other day that you only ever hear people with awesome gear saying that gear doesn't matter. You know, if I could afford a nice D3 (or even D700) and a 24-70mm f2.8 then my concert shots would probably be a lot better instantly (less noise, better clarity, better zoom range for framing, etc). In fact, without getting a fast lens, my live work would be terrible. fast lenses can be cheap (the nift fifty), but just because it's cheap, the choice of equipment still matters.

    The other point? Perception. Any time someone hires you, they have certain expectations. While it shouldn't matter what you use to get your shots, if you turn up with a compact, people are going to laugh, walk away and go to another photographer. Get out an SLR with battery grip, big lens and a trigger on the hotshoe, people will be impressed with your gear and have more confidence in you as a photographer. Even if you could get the same result with a compact. Sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, combining the best glass with the best chips is essential for professional image quality. But there are still plenty of great photographic artists working with pinhole cameras too. It's the photographer who makes the picture, not the equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @chrisblizzardphoto what you say is why I felt I had to write this blog post. No one ever really says equipment is important yet when I would read their lists of equipment it is all the best of everything. That is not to say or diminish the fact that how you see through the lens is what you are selling, but it is saying it is by far more important than people want to admit and I'm not exactly certain why they don't say more about equipment. So yes @Peter, the post is not to diminish your role or how you see the world as I stated at the beginning of this post, but to also say, it does matter, if you expect to make a name or sell your work, you have to think about your equipment as an important tool in production of your work. Once you actually have good equipment, you understand the difference and the importance of having higher end gear. When you consider equipment it is essentially realizing what tools you need and buying it once, your vision is an ongoing fluid and essential part every day in the work you do to express yourself. I still believe if you are serious, you have to be serious about what you use, low quality photographs even with a good vision will have a hard time being sold for publication.

    ReplyDelete